On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 08:44:30 -0400, David Andrews wrote:

>In around 2007, I had an archive-to-CD prototype running.  You gave it a
>list of MVS datasets and it would offload them to a PC (after converting
>to AWS format).  The PC burned a pair of CDs and compared them to make
>sure the CDs were readable and that they agreed.  Then the PC submitted

If the CD id burned from a .iso image, it's possible on either OS X
or Solaris to read the character special file underlying the mounted
CD and compare it exactly to the .iso.  On Windows, ImgBurn will
extract a .iso from a CD; I wouldn't know how to script it.

Has mkisofs been ported to z/OS?

>a job back to the MVS system containing the offloaded data; the job
>executed a test restore and compared the result with the original
>dataset.  Only then was the programmer notified that the offload was
>complete and the archive was verified as valid and restorable.

I haven't compared byte-by-byte; only compared MD5 checksums.

>Back on topic, I used IEBCOMPR to do the dataset verify.  If all you
>want to do is compare entire datasets then IEBCOMPR works rather well.

Which DSORGs will this handle?  PS, of course.  What about PDS,
PDSE, Program Objects, HFS, zFS, *SDS VSAM?

What AWS utilities do you recommend?

-- gil