On Thu, 2010-07-01 at 09:16 -0400, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
> If the CD id burned from a .iso image, it's possible on either OS X
> or Solaris to read the character special file underlying the mounted
> CD and compare it exactly to the .iso.  On Windows, ImgBurn will
> extract a .iso from a CD; I wouldn't know how to script it.

I used mkisofs and cdrecord under Linux.  The AWS files were compressed
and stored along with companion files that contain the original DCB and
allocation characteristics.  A postgresql index kept track of MVS
datasets and the CD serials.

It was an interesting project, and I learned more about bash than I ever
wanted to.  Last time I touched it I got a wild hair and started to
recode the bash stuff in SBCL Lisp.  Then I thought it would be useful
to have an inotify library and worked on that.  Time ran out on me
before I got the Lisp code running to my satisfaction.

As I said, it was proof-of-concept more than anything else.  Lots of
things I'd do to it: I would have liked to operate a CD changer - write
on one drive, read from another.  I'd have liked a web interface to the
server.  I'd have liked to do encryption.

> Has mkisofs been ported to z/OS?

Hmmmm, unknown.  In my implementation it was on the CD server.  The bash
script would accumulate datasets until it reached a threshold, then
create the iso.  (But the server could be told to cut the CD regardless
of the current queue size.)

> Which DSORGs will this handle?  PS, of course.  What about PDS,
> PDSE, Program Objects, HFS, zFS, *SDS VSAM?

I only did sequential datasets.

> What AWS utilities do you recommend?

I used AWSSL, which had some limitations three years ago.  I remember
that it didn't handle spanned records, so I always told AWSSL that the
dataset to be offloaded was RECFM=U.  As I mentioned above, when I
transport the AWS dataset it is paired with a characteristics dataset
that contained the real DCB information.

--
David Andrews
A. Duda and Sons, Inc.