>Doesn't VM/SP have (or was it earlier releases?) a file with similar
function?  I've heard my sysprog speak of editing "The Directory"
to add a user.

There is a directory structure and it is maintained by a
utility/command/service machine called DIRMAINT.
Invoking DIRMAINT is called EDITING.

Some, but not all, functions are superceded by your security software.
But, all your mini-disk static allocations, accounting info, initial virtual,
start up programme (CP, CMS, MVS, etc.) are all defined there.

Sort of like the old UADS, but with more info.

If you don't have a security package, your password is also stored there.

-teD

In God we Trust!
All others bring data!
 -- W. Edwards Deming