   From:       John Eells<ee...@us.ibm.com>

   To:         IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu

   Date:       07/15/2010 08:25 AM

   Subject:    Re: Dataset Aliases - How to find ALL of them

I am not sure what the OP meant by "data set alias," or whether we mean
the same thing when using this term, so...

There are two kinds of aliases.  User catalog connector aliases are
well-defined in the books, I think, but the "other kind," which I'll
call "data set aliases" for now, are not so well-defined if I recall
correctly.  The VSAM equivalent for what I call a data set alias is a
PATHENTRY.  (I'm too lazy to search for terms, look up the command
syntax today, or test it, so all this is from memory, but you should get
the idea anyway.)

A user catalog connector alias is created by using:

DEFINE -
    ALIAS(NAME(aliasname) -
    RELATE(user.catalog.name)) -
    CAT(master.catalog)

A data set alias is created by using

DEFINE -
    ALIAS(NAME(real.data.set.name) -
    RELATE(other.name.you.want.to.use.for.the.data.set)) -
    CAT(same.catalog.as.for.real.data.set.name)

As you can see, the differences are what you specify as the alias name,
what you RELATE the alias to, and where you must place the alias entry.

LISTCAT ALIAS will show both kinds.  The associations ("related-to")
field in the output will tell you what kind of alias it is; if it's a
user catalog name, it's a catalog connector alias.  Otherwise, it's a
data set alias.

To find all the user catalog connector aliases in the normal order of
catalog search (not what I think the OP wanted, but just to be
complete), run a LISTCAT ALIAS ALL against the master catalog.  All
those associated with a user catalog name are catalog connector aliases.
   Any others are data set aliases.  (If you don't know the names of your
catalogs, see the first command below.)

To find the data set aliases, run:

- LISTCAT USERCATALOG against the master catalog to find all the user
catalog entries.

- LISTCAT ALIAS ALL CAT(usercat.name) against *each* of the catalogs
appearing in the output from the command above.  For true user catalogs,
this will show only data set aliases.  For other master catalogs that
are connected to the master catalog (as user catalogs), it will show
both user catalog connector aliases and data set aliases.

For any catalogs that are not connected to the master catalog, I'm
afraid you're on your own so far as finding them goes, but once you find
them and IMPORT CONNECT them to the master catalog, the second command
above will work.

Having completed the steps above, you should have a complete list of
every kind of alias entry on your entire system.

HTH,

--
John Eells
z/OS Technical Marketing