There are choices.  These are just the ones I have at hand and I am sure
there are others.  I don't think anyone has mentioned SLiKZiP, ZIP/390,
or MegaCryption all viable alternatives to PKWARE.

Freeware

Info-Zip

http://www.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/Zip.html#MVS

Mini-Zip included in REVIEW convenience pack

http://www.prycroft6.com.au/REVIEW/index.html

See PDS members MINIUNZ & MINIZIP and minizip.txt note in documentation.

Commercial

SLiKZiP by ASE

http://www.slikzip.com/

ZIP/390 by Data21

http://www.data21.com/products/zip/reports.asp?zip=390

MegaCryption/MVS offers zip and gzip compression features starting with
version 5.3

http://www.megacryption.cc/

SecureZIP and PKZIP by PKWARE

http://www.pkware.com/business_and_developers/security/zseries/

In dealing with vendors remember everything is negotiable.

Consider to join ISVCOSTS to discuss T&C's, vendor pricing, competitive
products with others users without vendor participation.

John Anderson (IBM) no-vendors-allowed discussion list for open
discussion by IBM customers of ISV cost issues.

http://www.can.ibm.com/isvcosts/

Good Luck!

        Best Regards,

                Sam Knutson, GEICO
                Performance and Availability Management
                mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                (office)  301.986.3574

A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that
you actually look forward to the trip. - Caskie Stinnett