From: Edward Jaffe <edja...@phoenixsoftware.com>
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Sent: Tue, July 20, 2010 11:01:09 AM
Subject: History of Hard-coded Offsets (Was: TSSO problems)

Scott Rowe wrote:
> 2) In OSWAITRC (the ESTAE for the OSWAIT TSO command), there is an NI
>instruction to reset the wait bit in an AOF entry.  The offset into the AOF
>entry is hard-coded and ...

I've seen other "old" programs with many hard-coded offsets and lengths and
always wondered why this was such common practice back then.

Was it because there were a lot of inexperienced assembler programmers writing
code? Was it because people thought the platform would not last and treated
every program as a "throw away"? Was it due to limitations in the assembler
itself?

-- Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc
831 Parkview Drive North