In <8924.40203...@web82202.mail.mud.yahoo.com>, on 07/20/2010
   at 08:08 AM, Lloyd Fuller <leful...@sbcglobal.net> said:

>Remember:  there used to be several levels of assembler:  D, E, and F
>as well as  H.  D and E in particular had lots of restrictions on
>what MACROs and COPYs  could do because of lack of memory.  I believe
>D would run in a 64K real machine  and E required 96K machine.

The DOS/360 and TOS/360 Assembler (D) had a 16 KiB design level and,
while it exceeded that, I don't believe that it exceeded it by that
much. Similarly, the OS/360 Assembler (E) and (F) had 32KiB and 64KiB
design points; again, they didn't exceed those sizes by that much.
Perhaps you meant that Assembler (F) required a 96 KiB machine.

>I believe HLASM is based on the H level assembler with lots of
>changes.

Soem of which had been developed at SLAC.