On Nov 2, 2005, at 3:32 PM, Steve Comstock wrote:
Interesting story in the Wall Street Journal
yesterday. Apparently the Supreme Court declined
to hear a case where New York sued a contractor
in Tennessee for income tax, since the contractor's
client was in the city and he sometimes went there
to meet the client!

I thought that was long settled law. It sounds similar to California claiming tax rights to military retirement pay of soldiers stationed in state for part of their service. Or the Georgia effort...or the Wisconsin effort. Interstate commerce is still interstate commerce, and thankfully, Eliot Spitzer can't do a damn thing about it.

Now I'm not a fan of taxes, but here's the deal:
we push our state and city legistlators to impose
income tax on all outsourcers who do work in our
locales - including those who reside in India, China,
Rumania, Russia, and so on.

Whadda' ya' think?

I think it would suck to have all those countries impose a tax on all of the US-made software and hardware. The US is an overwhelming net- exporter -- why the hostility? Would you feel the same if all the other countries on the planet levied high taxes on "insourceing" from the US?