ponce...@bcs.org.uk (CM Poncelet) writes:
> That is what an ex-IBMer from the old days told me 'CICS' originally
> stood for - before it was renamed as 'Customer Information Control
> System' and sold to the rest of the world. I have no supporting
> evidence apart from this hearsay.

I was undergraduate at the univ. and responsible for os/360 ... and also
did a bunch of cp67 stuff. the univ. library got an ONR grant to do
online catalog ... they used some of the money to buy a 2321 (datacell).
that effort also got selected to be beta-test for CICS product release
... and I got tasked to (also) debug/support CICS.

I was told it was originally developed at some utility customer
... before being selected for release. One of the bugs I remember
tracking down turned out to be an BDAM OPEN bug ... it involved some
conflict between the BDAM features used in the original implementation
and the BDAM features selected by the library.

misc. past posts mentioning CICS (&/or BDAM)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#cics

doesn't mention any of that here:

this has a little more (but can't always trust wiki)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CICS

from above:

The first CICS product was released in 1968, named Public Utility
Customer Information Control System, or PU-CICS. CICS was originally
developed to address requirements from the public utility industry, but
it became clear immediately that it had applicability to many other
industries, so the Public Utility prefix was dropped with the
introduction of the first release of the CICS Program Product.

... snip ...

cics specific wiki
http://cicswiki.org/cicswiki1/index.php?title=History

from above:

CICS is born

In 1968, CICS became available as a free, Type II Application Program,
with users in every industry category. Transamerica in Los Angeles,
Northern Indiana Public Service Company (NIPSCO), Colorado Public
Service of Colorado, United Airlines, and many others were early
adopters of the software known as CICS. The other accounts which had
begun to develop their own approach (Commonwealth Edison, ConEd, etc)
continued with their proprietary software.

In 1969, IBM announced Program Products and CICS was no longer a free
software offering. This did inhibit sales and customer acceptance. CICS
enabled customers, in any industry, to quickly implement their online
systems, most of which were inquiry only at that time.

... snip ...

aka 23jun1969 ... "unbundling announcement" ... starting to charge
for software, se services, maint. etc. misc. past posts mentioning
unbundling
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#unbundle

this use to be an authoritative source for things CICS
http://www.yelavich.com/

but it has gone 404 ... although it still lives on at
the wayback machine
http://web.archive.org/web/19990427231345/http://www.yelavich.com/

CICS Reference Information & Trivia
http://web.archive.org/web/20010104201400/www.yelavich.com/5000fram.htm

CICS-Related Announcements, 1968-Present
http://web.archive.org/web/20010709064102/www.yelavich.com/5100cont.htm

from above ... this claims available mid-69 (which better corresponds to
my fading memory) ... as opposed to the above reference of availble in
in 1968

P68-66  4/29/68  Three New Type II Programs on Information Systems
                 to be Available Mid 1969

                 Overview
                   - Generalized Information System (Basic)
                   - Information Management System/360
                   - Public Utility Customer Information Control System

                 Generalized Information System Basic (GIS)
                   - Data set creation, maintenance, retrieval

                 Information Management System/360 (IMS/360)
                   - Implementation of medium to large data bases
                   - Teleprocessing and conventional batch processing
                   - Operate under MFT-II or MVT
                   - Highlights
                     - Messages to/from remote input/output devices
                     - Aplications scheduled concurrently under unique
                       storage protection key of OS/360
                     - System provides checkpoint/restart capabilities

                 Public Utility Customer Information Control System
                   - Planned availability
                     - June 30, 1969
                   - Overview
                     - Control system structure for installation of
                       electric, gas and telephone information systems
                     - Designed for inquiry and order entry applications
                   - Highlights
                      - Macro instructions for user communication with
                        his input-output devices and terminals
                      - Control programming services reduce programming
                        by the user
                      - Provides multi-programming capabilities
                      - Serviceability of system components to maximize
                        availability
                      - Records system performance statistics
                      - Uses OS/360 services

... snip ...

some other cics historical trivia
http://web.archive.org/web/20010721114117/www.yelavich.com/dfh.htm

from above:

I  have  been involved with CICS since 1968.  I taught Ben Riggins and
his (then) small staff, BTAM.  Ben Riggins is the father of  CICS.   He
was  a  CE/FE  at  one  time and switched over to being an SE.  He was
located in Richmond, Virginia when he came up with the idea for what we
know  today  as  CICS.  His account at that time was Virginia Electric
Power Co (VEPCO).

... snip ...

the above also speculates where the CICS 3-letter prefix "DFH" came
from.