The light switch may be upside down, or it may be somewhere else. I was
stationed in Germany as a young man. On my first day, I was invited to
dinner as a new member of the data center. We went to one of the locals
home. It was not long before I ask where the bathroom was. I entered the
bathroom, shut the door and proceeded to find the light switch. After a
short bit, I could hear chuckles through the door. I finally emerged saying
that I could not find the light switch. I was told that in many German homes
the bathroom light switch is in the hall and sure enough in the hall beside
the bathroom door was the light switch.