pacemainl...@gmail.com (Mark Pace) writes:
> I had an SE many years ago that did say S-N-A as SNAH. Confused me every
> time. I've never heard anyone try to say R-J-E as a word.  What you you use,
> reggie?

i've heard lots of SNAH ... don't remember RJE as a word ... but do
remember CRJE as as a word (aka conversational remote job entry
... cre-jee)

as undergraduate i had added tty/ascii terminal support to cp67.  the
original code did automatic terminal identification for 2741 & 1052 and
would use the 2702 SAD command to dynamically assign the correct
line-scanner to the port (depending on which terminal it decided it was
talking to). I tried to add tty/ascii terminal support in similar manner
... which almost worked. The problem was that while the 2702 allowed the
line-scanner to be dynamically set (with SAD command) ... the line-speed
oscillator was hard-wired (could quite use a common pool of lines with
single dial-up number for 2741, 1052 and tty).

This somewhat motivated the univ. to start clone controller processor
... starting out with Interdata/3 ... reverse engineering the channel
interface and building channel interface board for the Interdata ...
and of course one of the implementation features was to be able to
dynamically determine terminal speed. Later four of us was written
up as responsible for clone controller business ... some past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#360pcm

Later clone controller business was major motivation for future system
effort (and distraction of future system credited with allowing clone
processors to gain market foothold):
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#futuresys

In any case, I also hacked HASP for CRJE implementation ... removed 2780
code (reduce code footprint) and replaced it with 2741 & tty terminal
support ... along with editor supporting CMS editor syntax (had to be
rewritten from scratch since the CMS environment and HASP environment
were/are so different).

misc. past posts mentioning one thing or another about HASP
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#hasp