>But this reminds me of the current struggle to extend DASD volume sizes beyond
>54GB, largely because IBM apparently at the introduction of the 3390 made a
>committment to support
forever programmers with the unconscionable habit of hard-
coding device geometry parameters rather than fetching them
dynamically from system services.

I think that was a good thing.
I was one of the ones, in Canada, complaining about the constant changes in
geometry.
3330->3350->3380->3390 (and don't forget 'compatability' mode.

This impacted productivity,  migration, space (at a time it mattered), and
storage management in general.

>If no programmers had
hard-coded 15 tracks per cylinder, IBM could easily have
supported HH values up to 65535.

They hard-coded because it was there.

>It's all virtual, anyway,
nowadays.

Yes, but it removes one more responsibility from the programmer.
SMS was intended to remove space management from them.

Since it's virtual, does it matter?

-
I'm a SuperHero with neither powers, nor motivation!
Kimota!