On Sat, 2010-07-31 at 10:36 -0500, Rick Fochtman wrote:
<snip>
> Long ago, before the advent of SMS, IBM made a commitment to not change
> device geometry after the 3390 was introduced. I, for one, salute IBM
> for living up to that commitment.
>
> Rick

In many ways, I agree with that sentiment. However, it does saddle us
with obsolete ways of doing things. Reference the entire thread on PDSes
and their problems.

And DASD allocation. I would prefer if SMS storage pools could act a bit
more like a UNIX filesystem - allow a dataset to grow as needed without
limit other than the size of the storage pool. No more maximun number of
extents per volume and 59 volumes. No more specifying SPACE in JCL at
all - make it obsolete and ignore it. Granted the super large DASD
volumes of today reduce some of this. That is, for those of you (not us)
who can adopt them. We have (own) an old 2105 and won't upgrade (no
money, literally). Speaking of which, any jobs in DFW area of TX?

--
John McKown
Maranatha! <><