Correction, if coding between 16M and 32M the default is 32M, from JCL
Reference:

If your installation does not change the IBM-supplied default limits in the
IEALIMIT
or IEFUSI exit routine modules, then specifying various values for the
region size
has the following results:

- A value equal to 0K or 0M — gives the job step all the storage available
below
and above 16 megabytes. The resulting size of the region below and above 16
megabytes depends on system options and what system software is installed.
When REGION=0K/0M is specified, the MEMLIMIT is set to NOLIMIT.
Note: This may cause storage problems. See the Considerations When Using
the REGION parameter section for more information.

- A value greater than 0K or 0M and less than or equal to 16,384K or 16M —
establishes the size of the private area below 16 megabytes. If the region
size
specified is not available below 16 megabytes, the job step abnormally ends
with
an ABEND822. The extended region size is the default value of 32 megabytes.

- A value greater than 16,384K or 16M and less than or equal to 32,768K or
32M
— gives the job step all the storage available below 16 megabytes. The
resulting
size of the region below 16 megabytes depends on system options and what
system software is installed. The extended region size is the default value
of 32
megabytes.

- A value greater than 32,768K or 32M and less than or equal to 2,096,128K
or
2047M — gives the job step all the storage available below 16 megabytes. The
resulting size of the region below 16 megabytes depends on system options
and
what system software is installed. The extended region size is the specified
value. If the region size specified is not available above 16 megabytes, the
job
step receives whatever storage is available above 16 megabytes, up to the
requested amount, and the resulting size of the region above 16 megabytes
depends on system options and what system software is installed.

- Don Imbriale