On 08/05/2010 08:27 PM, Shane wrote:
> I would have thought DB2 might be a more pressing issue for a business.
>
> Shane ...
>
> On Thu, 2010-08-05 at 23:42 +0300, Mike Shorkend wrote:
>
>> z/os 1.9 is going out of service in September IIRC. We have to migrate to
>> z/os 1.11 before then.
>> The LPAR has 4.5 GB
>>  DB2 V8

z/OS 1.9 EoS is 2010-09, and in our experience it takes a minimum of 4
months to adequately check out all the major subsystems and vendor
products under a new z/OS version before a move to production even in a
single-production-LPAR environment.  I once did it in less by working
60+ hour weeks for over a month when the new z/OS was a coreq for a
firmly scheduled hardware upgrade, but I wouldn't recommend it.

DB2  V8 EoS is 2012-04-30, light years away by comparison, and I've seen
DB2 upgrades phased into production in less than 2 months.

Unless there is some new DB2 feature essential to your shop, cost is
often a significant motivator for staying with older versions as long as
they are still supported.

--
Joel C. Ewing, Fort Smith, AR        jcew...@acm.org