rfocht...@ync.net (Rick Fochtman) writes:
> At Clearing, we ran MVS very nicely on three 4341 Model Group 2 boxen
> for three years and it ran very nicely. Nowdays, my pocket calculator
> probably has more raw compute power but the fact remains that we were
> very happy with the equipment, until our workload grew beyond their
> capacity to process it. IIRC, the DASD farm was a mix of 3330-11's and
> 3350's. Talk about ancient.....

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010m.html#41 IBM 3883 Manuals

... group 2 was faster machine introduced later ... however, if you were
running with (existing?) DASD farm with mix of 3330-11s and 3350s ... it
was possibly upgrade of existing 370 machine (possibly single 158 to
three 4341 ... or maybe from a single 168?). it might have even been an
pre-existing MVS (that didn't require the new 3033 mvs microcode assist)
... and likely within a traditional looking datacenter.

... but this wasn't a couple machines ... part of the explosion in
mid-range were customers buying hundreds of 4341s at a time (which
required new processors as well as new mid-range dasd) ... and placing
them all over the business ... converting deparmental conference rooms
and supply rooms for 4341s with "mid-range" dasd .... not exactly
someplace to load up a lot of 3380 disks cabinets (designed for the
datacenter).

another trivial example was the internal service processor for 3090
... it was a pair of (vm) 4361s with FBA (3090 service panels were
actually cms ios3270 screens)

internally installations, that vm/4341 mid-range explosion contributed
to scarcity of conference rooms ... with places like the santa teresa
labs putting vm/4341s on every floor in every tower.

the 3880 controller group in san jose, ran a huge microcode design
application on collection of 168s in bldg. 26 datacenter. The datacenter
was crammed to the walls and there wasn't any place to add more
machines. They started looking at also putting lots of these vm/4341s
out into all the departmental nooks & crannies ... as a means of
deliverying a lot more processing power to their development
organization (again all new installations requiring new mid-range dasd).

one of the things started in the 90s was very aggressive physical
packaging effort to configure ever increasing numbers of processors in
the smallest amount of floor space ... this was somewhat done to get
large numbers of the explosion in departmental and distributed
processors back into the datacenter.

Much of the early work had gone to national labs (like LLNL) and high
energy physics labs (as GRID computing). It has also recently morphed
into "cloud computing" ... somewhat marrying massive cluster scaleup
with the 60&70s mainframe online commercial timesharing ... much of it
"virtual machine" based (starting with cp67 and then morphing into
vm370) ... one of the largest such (mainframe virtual machine)
operations was the internal (virtual machine based) online HONE system
providing world-wide sales & marketing support ... misc. old HONE