New instructions do not necessarily run more efficiently than previous
instructions. It depends on what the instructions do, of course. I have not
tested it myself, but I've been told that on some processors, the MVCL
instruction is actually slower than doing a corresponding loop using MVC. And I
wonder if MVCLE is more efficient than MVCL. I also remember when IBM went from
BiPolar machines (3090?) to CMOS (?). The packed decimal instructions performed
dismally.

Now, some of the recent z10 and above sure sound like they are more efficient.
Such as using the new compare and branch instructions instead of the separate
compare & branch instructions. But not always. If you need a "two way" compare,
then "compare and branch" makes sense. But if you need a "three way" compare
(such as compare against zero, branch one place if negative, another place if
zero, and next instruction if positive), then a separate compare followed by 2
branch instructions might be more efficient than two "compare and branch"
instructions. But without a z10 to test on, I don't know that for certain.

Now, the OS level you're running has nothing to do with or influence the
efficiency of the instructions in your program. So if you get a z10 or z196 and
start using the new instructions, then you get the benefits of the new
instructions. If an old instruction has its execution improved, then you get
that improvement in your code. If an old instruction executes slower on the new
processor, then your code will suffer.

I think your general question has an answer of "false". Basically the new CPU
is "faster" because of a better cycle time and because more efficient hardware
or millicode. The two together are use to calculate the "MIPS" of the machine.
Of course MIPS and even MSUs are now only marketting propoganda with little
technical meaning.

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group

HealthMarkets(r)

(817) 255-3225 phone * (817)-691-6183 cell