Anyone who thinks that owning a software company is a license to print
money: you're free to start one of your own. Ask Dave Salt or any of the
other software entrepreneurs who hang out here just how obscene their
profits are.

Everyone rails against capacity pricing, but what's the alternative? When I
started selling Outbound in 1988 my first plan was to charge everyone
$24,000 no matter how big their processor was. Didn't work. We priced
ourselves out of the market for the smaller shops, and left ourselves
without the resources to compete with the $100,000 products at the bigger
shops. Yes, the best thing would be pricing on a "business" metric
(transactions, basically) rather that a "computer" metric (MIPS, etc.) but
IBM has not made it easy to do that.

We did in fact go to exactly what Gil suggests. We stopped saying that a
Group 80 machine was more than a Group 18 machine. Instead, we said "the
product is $60,000 ... oh, you have a Group 18 machine? Great, you get a 75%
discount." People loved it. I don't know why every vendor doesn't do it that
way.

When you are selling a tangible product like widgets, it's easy for the
customers to understand that it costs you $1 to make each widget so you sell
it for $2. It's harder for people to grasp your pricing when it costs you $1
million to engineer a product, and then 1ยข each time people download it.
What's a fair price? Okay, we won't charge for upgrades and we won't charge
for bigger CPUs and we won't charge for multiple CPUs. Exactly what WOULD
you have us charge for so we can pay those darned programmers, not to
mention the landlord, the power company, and the tax man?

Charles