From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Gibney, Dave
Sent: Monday, August 23, 2010 2:49 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: [IBM-MAIN] Soft Cap

  It's our annual peak time, first day of classes for Fall Semester.
Since last spring, I've "ratcheted down" the group capacity for our 4
lpars on a z9BC-L03. I had it down to 16. Last week I raised it to 17,
today after capping had cut in, I raised it to 18 and then to 19. I
expected it to take at least some wall time for the 4-hour average to
catch up, but in reality, RMF III shows WLM Capping still in effect.
  It's now lunch time and we seem to be meeting our workload. I guess I
really don't fully understand how the 4-hour average is determined.

  The other thing I've noticed in this exercise these past few months,
is that, whatever number I have the Softcap set at (say n=16), SCRT
reports n+1 (17). I haven't pursued this curiosity as yet.

Dave Gibney
Information Technology Services
Washington State University

1.0pt 0in'>
"This email is intended to be reviewed by only the intended recipient
 and may contain information that is privileged and/or confidential.
 any review, use, dissemination, disclosure or copying of this email
 and its attachments, if any, is strictly prohibited.  If you have
 received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender by
 return email and delete this email from your system."