On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 04:39:19 -0600, John Benik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>We are in the process of converting from IBM VTS's to STK VSM's.  STK has
>recommended that we use tapereqs to accomplish this task.  I am not quite
>clear on what we code in the ACS routines to get it into STK or do we code
>everything to go to STK and based on criteria we set in Tapereq we go back
>into SMS???  My thinking was that we would could something like this If
>unit=(tape90 cart 3490)
>exit
>
>I am however not sure if that's how easy it is.  Anybody have experience
>with switching from SMS to using tapereqs and want to share the experience
>with me?

STK does support SMS ACS routines now, so I don't think you have to
convert them.  But we prefer TAPEREQs since they are more flexible
and it has typically been a different group that maintains them
than the DASD storage admins (although our goal is to move that
function back into the DASD group). We did our conversion under
HSC/VTCS V4 which didn't support SMS.  I assume you are running
6.0 or 6.1.  I think the SMS support came in 5.0 when SMC was
added into the picture.

We did this conversion manually since only a subset of data went to
VTS when we had it.  When we migrated to VSM we added enough capacity
and it was decided that everything would go virtual except very large
files (weekly SMF data, DB2 image copies, ExHPDM full volume dumps
that are stacked on native 9840).

So basically out TAPEREQ member looked something like this example:

TAPEREQ JOBNAME(*) -
        MED(VIRTUAL) -
        REC(VIRTUAL) -
        SUBPOOL(VIRTUAL)

With exceptions like this being listed before the JOBNAME(*) entry:

TAPEREQ DSN(hlq.SMF.WEEKLY.**) -
        MED(STK1R) -
        REC(STK1RAB) -
        SUBPOOL(984020GB)

Later on, once we understood the software better, we added MGMTCLAS
(STK, not SMS) definitions that made some data sets delete from the
VSM buffer as soon as they were written to the back end tapes (MVCs).
These would be backups to virtual or anything else you knew was
"write once, read never".

I'm a little fuzzy now, but I'm pretty sure since HSC (SMC now)
gets involved in allocation that you don't need to remove the SMS
rules for VTS at the same time you activate VTCS and TAPEREQs. HSC/SMC
will modify the EDL and control where the allocations can go to.

HTH.

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
Zurich North America and Farmers Insurance Group