On Fri, 3 Sep 2010 08:38:59 -0500, McKown, John wrote:

>One of the many reasons that I prefer computer languages. They are not
>ambiguous. Well, they shouldn't be. I guess you could design one where the
>meaning of a statement is not defined unambiguously. But it is definately
>implemented unambiguously. Hum, or is that true? I've heard of cases where the
>semantics of a user written program changed due to a change in a compiler or
>the use of a different version of the compiler. <sign>

And in common English:

Generic is something that is general, common, or inclusive rather than
specific, unique, or selective. (wikipedia)

Esoteric knowledge, in the dictionary (non-scholarly) sense, is thus that which
is available only to a narrow circle of "enlightened", "initiated", ... (Ibid.)

But in MVS jargon:

3420-6 is generic.
TAPE is esoteric.

Common English: Definition of SYNCHRONOUS. 1. : happening, existing, or arising
at precisely the same time. (www.merriam-webster.com)

Computer (MVS) jargon: a synchronous exit never happens at precisely the
same time as the main thread.

-- gil