On 3 Sep 2010 08:25:13 -0700, gerh...@valley.net (Gerhard Postpischil)
wrote:

>> Then there are all the Janus words, which are spelled the
>> same, pronounced the same, but have opposite meanings
>> Fortunately, there are not many.  Here are a few in English:
>
>And potentially the most dangerous: inflammable.

The word "Flammable" was created because of a fear that some people
might think "inflammable" meant recursively "not flammable".  So the
new word was created to prevent people from lighting up cigarettes
next to "inflammable signs".

But I have seen zero evidence that this danger was more than
theoretical.