W dniu 2010-09-07 21:36, Thompson, Steve pisze:
-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.)
Sent: Monday, September 06, 2010 10:04 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: JES2 vs. JES3

In
<45d79eacefba9b428e3d400e924d36b903e59...@iwdubcormsg007.sci.local>,
on 09/05/2010
    at 06:13 PM, "Thompson, Steve"<steve_thomp...@stercomm.com>  said:

Why is JES2 better than JES3?

Why is an airplane better than a submarine? I'd like to know whether
you plan to travel under the ice or over it before answering the
question.

<SNIP>

Actually, I was planning on using a torpedo.

Well...
My goal is to meet business goals. I use mainframe, because:
a) my application is designed for mainframe
(loooong gap)
b) it is very good (maybe optimal) platform for that.

My business is not interested in (almost) any technical issues. I don't ask them about torpedos, 24 vs 31 vs 64-bit addressing, JES2 vs JES3, etc, etc. IMHO both JESes are for the same thing: to run the applications, especially batch jobs. The better is the cheaper - udoubtly JES2 - UNLESS (!) there are other factors to analyze. Usually (vast majority!) it is history: existing apps would need to be migrated, which could be costly and cumbersome.
Theorethical case: If you start from scratch, then you should choose JES2.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

--
BRE Bank SA
ul. Senatorska 18

Sd Rejonowy dla m. st. Warszawy XII Wydzia Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sdowego, nr rejestru przedsibiorców KRS 0000025237
NIP: 526-021-50-88
Wedug stanu na dzie 01.01.2009 r. kapita zakadowy BRE Banku SA (w caoci
wpacony) wynosi 118.763.528 zotych. W zwizku z realizacj warunkowego
podwyszenia kapitau zakadowego, na podstawie uchway XXI WZ z dnia 16 marca
2008r., oraz uchway XVI NWZ z dnia 27 padziernika 2008r., moe ulec
podwyszeniu do kwoty 123.763.528 z. Akcje w podwyszonym kapitale zakadowym
BRE Banku SA bd w caoci opacone.