From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf
Of Lizette Koehler
Sent: Monday, September 06, 2010 Monday 4:45 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: JES2 vs. JES3

I am sure there will be some opinions on this.  But the basic functions of
JES2 and JES3 are different.

I have only used JES2 and know very little of JES3.  So I am a little
biased.

JES3 has resource functions where JES2 does not.  In JES3, as I understand
it, a job cannot get into the system unless all allocations are met.
However, you can submit a job to JES2 and it could begin to run without all
allocations (dasd, tape, etc.) being available.  To handle that problem in
JES2 you have add-on products like ThruPut Manager, DTS Software SCC, ACS,
and so on.

So to me the bottom line is more like:
JES2 comes with the operating system, but how many more products do you need
to add-on before it behaves (okay I will say it) like JES3?

I like JES2 because it is simpler in concept than JES3.  However, both
products have their pros and cons.

I am not sure that this can be a apples to apples type of choice.  They are
both apples, but do you like sweet ones or tart?  Do you like Washington or
Delicious?  Do you like Red or Green?

  I think it all comes down to what you have worked on and how you have
adapted to using it.  Both are good systems and do their jobs very well.

Lizette

to lists...@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search the
archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html