The problem IMHO is new management and accountants
The new management has cut their teeth on the server  world for example
we had a deputy cio hire in, we were talking about the mainframe one day and
I explained to him how we ran cics(explained it) a db, batch, users(developing
cobol), etc and he was amazed. They are used to having 1 box runing a db,
one running a customer interface, one....you see where I am going.
The you have the accountant seeing the charge for the mainframe and
software, but when they look at the sever side they dont seem to add all the
figures to the bottom line.
Plus when you outsource look at all the people removed form the payroll
looks good until things turn to kaka
Just my $.02
mace