I've got a program FOO that requires a string with embedded blanks as a
parm, e.g.
//STEP1    EXEC  PGM=FOO,PARM='Hello World'

I'd like to be able to set up a proc BAR that would take a parm STRING= and
pass it to FOO as the PARM=, e.g.

//BAR   PROC  STRING='the string'
//STEP1 EXEC  PGM=FOO,PARM=&STRING

If I do it that way, then it fails for lack of quotes around &STRING.

If I code it as PARM='&STRING', then if the user wants to pass in a string
with quotes in it, he needs quadruple quotes, e.g.

//MYSTEP EXEC BAR,STRING='The value is ''''3.14'''''

which I find fairly ridiculous and non-intuitive and error-prone. Is there
some trick to being able to have a PROC parm that is quoted but does not
need quadruple quotes? I tried the trick setting &Q to '''' and using that
instead of a literal quote and also a null parameter &X to fool JCL but
couldn't get those to work either.

I know we've been around on this sort of issue once or twice before ...

Thanks,

Charles Mills