On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 3:06 AM, Steve Austin <steve.aus...@macro4.com> wrote:
> Thanks for all your responses.
>
> Essentially I'm looking for a method of identifying MVS images so that I
> can talk to my agent running in each of those images. If my agent is not
> running on an image then neither is any other of my software.
>
> BCPii looks interesting, but obviously has security issues and won't run
> on an MVS image running under VM.
>
> This is very very early days in my research. My initial thought was that
> I might be able to extract the 'hypersocket' data in some way.

If you are running multiple mainframes, communicating through the
mainframe partitioning manager would not detect the other mainframes.
Does IBM register mainframe TCP/IP port numbers, like it does for 3
digit message prefixes?

You would be best off when you install your software, to assign a
TCP/IP port pair in a configuration file, and the other addresses in
the complex (or do test polling of the ports in the defined range of
the LAN).

--
Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA