<snip>

> I'd guess the "twilight zone" is virtual; I'd hope the system design
> wouldn't squander 2 GiB of real storage (or are the sockets between
> 2GiB and 4GiB simply left empty; no DIMMs installed?)
>
> Does something, then, have a problem with real addresses with the
> sign bit set?  What?  What software is so concerned with real
> addresses other than OS memory management, which should have been
> thoroughly tested at other sites by now?
>
> -- gil
> --

As best as I can tell, the 2Gib to 4Gib "twilight zone" is strictly
virtual and a z/OS only "twilight zone". The problem is the fact that
putting the high order bit of an AMODE(31) address "ON" is an "end of
list" indication when using the standard linkage conventions. The
"twilight zone" is 0x00 00 00 00 80 00 00 00 to 0x00 00 00 00 FF FF FF
FF because of the question of "how do I interpret these addresses?" Are
they actually address between 2Gib and 4Gib, or are the below 2Gib
addresses with the high bit set for "end of address"? The z/OS designers
simplified this by simply x'ing out this area. I guess that is why it is
called "above the bar". The "bar" is 2Gib in size.

There is nothing in the hardware itself, as I read the zPOPS, which
"dislikes" those addresses.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its'
content is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.