On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 10:11:33 -0700, John Norgauer asks:

>Does your root ZFS  exist on your SYSRES or does it get moved after
>receiving it from IBM? Do you rename it to reflect the OS level or
>version?

We bear some elements with other posters thus far, but we definitely have
our own rhythm...

We configure the ServerPac jobs to drop the IBM-supplied HFS' on a
secondary logical SYSRES (&SYSR2).  Dataset names are of the form:

SYS1.OMVS.&SYSR1..whatever (ROOT, JAVA, XML, MQS, etc.)

Dataset names use &SYSR1 instead of &SYSR2 to match our SMP/E CSI &
Zone naming conventions.  None of these are ZFS, none are SMS-managed.
We use FDR for physcial copy of the &SYSR1/&SYSR2 volumes (SADUMP is on
&SYSR2), then RENAME the newly copied HFS'.

Because we don't yet share MCAT (sigh), SYS1.OMVS is an MLA to reduce the
amount of catalog work we have to do for changes to ServerPac content.

Sysplex root is a separate HFS on isolated DASD (mod-1), also SYS1.OMVS,
also NOT SMS managed.  User, application, and ISV product filesystems are
typically SMS managed and ZFS.

We set VERSION to &SYSR1 in BPXPRMxx, and we use automount to manage
our multiple maintenance HFS' to keep in sync with our SYSRES / Zones:

auto.master:
/service/whatever       /etc/service_whatever.map
service_whatever.map:
filesystem   SYS1.OMVS.<uc_name>.ROOT

And, in SMP/E our DDDEFs for HFS elements are prefixed with:

/service/whatever/&SYSR1./

Regards,
Art Gutowski
Ford Motor Company