i Echo Matt in terms of the importance of what IT function Management
Thinks.
you would have some defined SLA/KPIs which are defined for measuring the
performance and the somthing to start with.
Adding to that System availability and reporting is a standard across It
departments. however if you are able to Map your reports in terms of
Business Impact/Applications it makes more sense and would be able to gauge
the Business's attention. for example, when you reporting for Databases, it
makes more sense for business if you mapping the particular business
application in the report rather than what it is hosted on.
Also a Start of the day checks on the same lines and system availability,
storage in respect to Business applications as allocated, would be quite an
eye opener. you could also do a monthly reporting of the
upgrades/maintenance plans and their execution timeliness/statuses again
mapped with the Business Impacted system/application for forecasting and
remove unnecessary surprises.

Cheers,
Amit