John

> Meanwhile, NetView still hangs a WTOR on the console.

I went back as far as I could in the NetView bookshelves[1] in order to
confirm what I seemed to remember from the days when I used to run a
NetView on all my systems that there was no outstanding "reply" messing up
the console. I found the following from NetView V2R3 (1994):

NetView® Administration Reference Version 2 Release 3, SC31-6128-01

<quote>

2.1.54 MVSPARM

MVSPARM [MSGIFAC={SYSTEM|USESSI|CMDONLY}]
        [,DEFAUTH={MASTER|ALL|SYS|I/O|CONS|INFO|
                   CONS&I/O|CONS&SYS|I/O&SYS}]
        [,CMDWTOR={YES|NO}]
        [,MIGRATE={YES|NO}]

CMDWTOR={YES|NO}
Specifies whether the DSI802A WTOR is issued. CMDWTOR is valid only if you
have the NetView program for MVS/ESA installed on an MVS/ESA system.

YES Issues message DSI802A. This is the default in DSIDMN.
NO Suppresses message DSI802A.

</quote>

As I used to try to drum into my students: "Defaults always work but they
don't tend to offer the best performance."

I suggest your installation catches up with at least 15 years of NetView
development and examines its defaults!

And please refer to your documents before obliging me to spend up to half an
hour checking mine!

Just to offer a useful response to this slur on NetView capability[2], this is
some more information I dug up:

NetView® Operation Version 2 Release 3, SC31-6127-01

<quote>

1.9.2.1 MVS

For MVS, you can issue CLOSE as a NetView subsystem command if you have
not first stopped the NetView subsystem.  From the system operator's
console, you can use the REPLY command to enter the CLOSE command.

Because the NetView subsystem is processing messages from all other active
tasks in the MVS system (your automation logic may be necessary for handling
some or all of these messages), you should temporarily inactivate some or all
of your applications before canceling the subsystem.

To stop the NetView program, enter:

%CLOSE

where % is the NetView descriptor character. The MVS console must be
associated with a NetView autotask if you use only %CLOSE to stop the
NetView program.

If message DSI802A is outstanding, you can reply to the message and then
issue the CLOSE command. For example, enter:

REPLY nn,CLOSE

where nn is the reply number. The NetView program stops automatically when
all operators and incoming cross-domain operators have logged off.[3]

</quote>

You shouldn't assume that, just because nobody has bothered to keep your
installation's NetView in best shape for the last 15 or so years, that might
apply to all others nor that NetView, a seat of automation, doesn't follow the
best practice it tends to require of other products.

Chris Mason

[1] http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/Shelves/CNMYBK04

[2] If previous "usual suspect" Patrick O'Keefe were still participating, he
would have jumped on you so hard that you would now be deeper than the
poor Chilean miners!

[3] I believe this sentence should be in a separate paragraph so that it
applies
to both techniques for issuing the CLOSE command. Perhaps it is corrected in
a later edition - perhaps not.