Skip Robinson wrote:

By all means *start* your 64-bit testing on the most disposable LPAR you
have regardless of size. However, certain 64-bit problems *will not* show
up in an LPAR that has less than 2 gig of memory. Before going to
production in a >2 gig LPAR, you must somehow build a large test LPAR if
only temporarily. Otherwise you may be in for some nasty surprises.

Usually programs, even poorly written use virtual memory, so wouldn't be so afraid about potential problems. (HINT: system does use real memory, but it is tested and patched quite well since 2000).

BTW: Let's assume everything works fine on 192MB real memory. Now we get into (let's assume again: SMALL) production, with prod LPAR has less than 2GB assigned. Why to test issues "above 2 GB" ?

BTW2: The only memory problems I ever had were related to (virtual) storage below 16MB, doesn't matter is was 31-bit OS/390 or 64-bit z/OS.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland