m...@mentor-services.com (Mike Myers) writes:
>  John:
>
> Interesting that you should mention the CMS file system and MVS.
>
> Back around 1982 I was working for IBM in the Poughkeepsie, NY
> lab. Four of us did a prototype which ran CMS in a TSO address space
> under SIE.

I did a coporate advanced technology (adtech) conference/workshop that
mar82 (first such corporate event in nearly six years) ... where some
of the work was presented ... as well as various unix projects and
some number of other things. a few old references to agenda/topics:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/94.html#22
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/96.html#4a
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2000g.html#40

a little earlier there was corporate declaration that CMS was
"strategic" for online conversational work and the TSO product
administrator approached me about considering rewriting the MVS
scheduler (so MVS might be able to better compete for things like
interactive response) ... old email reference
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006b.html#email800310
in this past post
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006b.html#39 another blast from the past

back in the cp67 era ... I had done paged mapped interface for the CMS
file system, and later moved to vm370 and included it in the internal
system distributions that I supported (like csc/vm and later sjr/vm).
In the early 80s, it was easy to show that on identical configration &
3380s ... for moderate i/o intensive workload ... it had approx. three
times the thruput of the unmodified, non-paged mapped filesystem (short
pathlength, higher transfer rates, much better scaleability, etc). misc.
past posts mentioning work on paged mapped filesystem
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#mmap

it wasn't simply just page-mapped/non-page-mapped ... because of the
page-mapped I was able to do some fairly trivial filesystem enhancements
(some of which would have been significantly more difficult in a
non-page-mapped environment). Other things could have been done to the
base filesystem ... but weren't ... like contiguous allocation ... akin
to recent (linux) enhancement to EXT3 for EXT4 filesystem.