On 10/11/2010 11:35 AM, Bill Fairchild wrote:
The question is appropriately begged, and the answer is
simple - by the time I was able to read an encyclopedia
article or a dictionary entry, I had also learned how to
navigate within a dictionary; viz, the pronunciation of a
word is typically given within the definition.  One simply
looks at the bottom of the page for instructions in how to
interpret the various enigmatic (for the first few times
seen) symbols that are used in phonetically spelling the
pronunciation of a word.  After having learned how to spell
three or four other words beginning with "psy", I remembered
that particular rule exception.  I don't remember how I
learned how to pronounce or spell knowledge.

Our experiences differ, which may be topic for another group <g> But I taught myself to read when I was four (I remember the moment when I figured out that sounding out the letters in a subway sign resembled the name of my Grandmother's street). Ever since then I have been reading, at least one book a week, and acquired a sizable vocabulary of words I couldn't pronounce. I didn't find out about dictionaries until Junior High school, when we were required to buy one.

Gerhard Postpischil
Bradford, VT