CDW's website says:  "This product was discontinued as of Wednesday,
July 21, 2010. Call for availability."

Their price:  $95.99.

> Our vendor charges us $1200 each for these. We have to use theirs to
> maintain support.

C'est la vie.  A similar disparity exists between certain airplane
engine accessories and the identical automotive counterparts.  The
airplane accessories (alternator, IME) are required by regulation (force
of law) to have a label affixed, containing the letters "FAA PMA" and a
number.  That label multiplies the price of the accessory by (at least)
10.

Perhaps your vendor's disk drives have a similar "magic label"?

> Not direct attached. Contents of an array behind a VTL appliance.
Attached
> to a mainframe. The disk cost the same no matter what host they're
attached
> to. Not sure if this meets your definition of "price gouging" nor
"cheap disk".

Probably doesn't matter.  Some sellers charge exorbitant prices simply
because they can.

    -jc-