On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 09:48:01 -0600, Steve Comstock wrote:

>Don't hate EBCDIC, be amazed at the ability
>to work with EBCDIC, ASCII, and Unicode all on one
>system.

EBCDIC is easy enough to use.  It's just too difficult to
avoid.  The OS is biased.  A fair operating system would
let me NFS mount my Solaris data sets xlat(N) and live
in ASCII, with no funky tagging of files or autoconversion.
Let me tag and autocovert my Legacy data sets when I need
the facility.

Even as programmers can operate on the Legacy side and deal
with ASCII only when necessary, I'd like to operate in
ASCII and deal with EBCDIC only when necessary.

-- gil