-------------------------------------<snip>---------------------------------

I would say that the first step should be to have ALL customization, exits, etc. very well documented, both their action and the reasons for
their actions.

That would have been great 20-30 years ago, but what do you do with the lack of
existing doc?

Many times it's missing, or the coder didn't think it was important.

I don't document code!
It was hard to write; it should be hard to read!
I was trained, and will always maintain, that there is no possible excuse for not inserting meaningful comments into my code. After all, I might be the guy who has to unbutton it and fix it sometime in the future. I might not remember the details that I had in mind when I originally coded it. :-)

Rick