On 15 Oct 2010 21:58:31 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

>Actually a lot of the old user and system modification code that is still
>around was not where we normally exploited things.  Mostly it was the newer
>systems that were shipped with a lot of theoretically unused products, code
>and other appendages that had for the most part never been installed or was
>quickly uninstalled in the "old" days.  Installed (and for the most part
>unused) access and always authorized technology programs in LPA and Linklist
>were always our goto method.
I know that I had a hard time figuring out what was on the system and
did we really need it in the 1980s when I was doing Virtual Storage
Constraint Relief and that was with a lot fewer products.  As Brian
says elsewhere in this message there is a lot of dead code (IBM
products not activated, etc.) that may well be on our systems.
Websphere and other web related systems have a whole new host of
vulnerabilities.  We have gone from hundreds or thousands of allowed
users to possibly millions (large banks, various governments, large
retailers, etc.) of users who can sign in and access something on our
systems.  Think about your credit card provider for example.

How vulnerable are the applications?  Would compromising Websphere
give benefit to those who want to make money?  Are we vulnerable to
such things as SQL injection and buffer overruns in some of the newer
packages?

Clark Morris