We use the high order bytes of the UID to discriminate between human and
non-humans and have different codes for regular employees versus contract
employees.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Hal Merritt
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 11:46 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Assigning UID's

Cross posted to MVS and RACF.

We don't use OMVS and have no plans to do so except for the bare minimum
required. I did not choose to use the 'backstop' and so code a OMVS segment on
each user and group profile as appropriate.

Somehow I have accumulated a number of (non human) profiles with UID 0 and a
number of duplicate UID and GID assignments (that is, the same GID assigned to
related groups and the same UID assigned to related ID's). I got dinged n a
recent audit and am working on my remediation strategy.

I am of the 'old school' where 'any standard is better than no standard' and
would normally try to craft UID's and GID's in a pattern such as xxyyyyyyyy
where xx is a major grouping and yyyyyyy is a unique number. A 'major grouping'
could be employee, process, etc.

Does this august group think it is worthwhile to  go to the trouble of doing
this, or should I just assign random numbers?

Thanks!!

intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. The
message, together with any attachment, may contain confidential and/or
privileged information.
distribution is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in
error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email and delete all
copies.

lists...@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search the archives at
http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html
This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If
you think you have received this e-mail in error, please advise the
sender by reply e-mail and then delete this e-mail immediately.
Thank you. Aetna