It is possible for the 4HRA of an LPAR to go above the defined capacity limit.
This
is because the limit goes on typically after four hours of your workload
getting
bigger and bigger. Eventually the 4HRA exceeds the defined capacity and the cap
goes on. As the four hour rolling average goes forward, the values from 4 hours
ago, then 3h45m ago, then 3h30m ago are removed from the calculation of that
average, and values at the capping level are going into the calculation, so the
4HRA may keep rising for a few intervals. It may even stabilize above the set
defined capacity. Back in 2004 I coined the term "bonus MSUs" for these MSUs
that are above the defined capacity value. When SCRT processes your SMF data,
if the 4HRA in the data is above the defined capacity value SCRT ignores those
"bonus MSUs". The Ts&Cs of sub-capacity WLC indicate you will not be charged
for more MSUs than the Defined Capacity Value.

Al Sherkow, I/S Management Strategies, Ltd.
Consulting Expertise on Capacity Planning, Performance Tuning,
WLC, LPARs, IRD and LCS Software
Seminars on IBM SW Pricing, LPARs, and IRD
Voice: +1 414 332-3062
Web: www.sherkow.com