From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Cobe Xu
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2010 11:44 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: CPU capping is not working for one Lpar only on CEC?

Response to "what am I trying to do?", I'm working on a yearly
performance &
capacity review, and saw many many occasions that CPU overshoot the CAP
line
about 3%. And I try to figure this out.

Thanks all, will check the PR/SM manual for the 1~3% saying.
On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 11:49 PM, Al Sherkow <a...@sherkow.com> wrote:

> That 3% is not unexpected. WLM works with PR/SM to implement the cap.
WLM
> does the math and PR/SM does the actually "capping". If you read the
PR/SM
> planning guides (as Peter referenced) you'll see that PR/SM manages
LPARs
> to +-
> 3 percent.
>
> I believe that WLM does the calculation to account for the possible
MINUS
> 3%. If
> you were trying to cap at 100 MSUs and you only got 97 MSUs while
paying
> for
> 100 you would be upset. If you pay for 100MSUs and get 3 Bonus MSUs
you are
> satisfied customer. (I chose 100 MSUs to make the math easy)
>
> Al Sherkow, I/S Management Strategies, Ltd.
> Consulting Expertise on Capacity Planning, Performance Tuning,
> WLC, LPARs, IRD and LCS Software
> Seminars on IBM SW Pricing, LPARs, and IRD
> Voice: +1 414 332-3062
> Web: www.sherkow.com

Cobe Xu

Best Regards
zOS Performance & Capacity Analyst
E2E Performance Analyst
Email: cob...@gmail.com

If you wish to communicate securely with Commerce Bank and its
affiliates, you must log into your account under Online Services at
http://www.commercebank.com or use the Commerce Bank Secure
Email Message Center at https://securemail.commercebank.com

confidential. The information is exclusively for the use of the
individual or entity intended as the recipient. If you are not
the intended recipient, any use, copying, printing, reviewing,
retention, disclosure, distribution or forwarding of the message
or any attached file is not authorized and is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please
advise the sender by reply electronic mail immediately and
permanently delete the original transmission, any attachments
and any copies of this message from your computer system.