I called IBM in yesterday to get an update to learn if TSM for z/OS was still
destined for the scapeheap come 2013 and indeed it is.  Although one can
prolong its life by 3-4 years aftyer 2013 paying extra for extended support.
The pitch is to move your TSM over to zLinux, AIX, Windows, etc.   This is not
appealing for a number of reasons why we went with TSM for z/OS; 99.999%
availability, automation, operational advantages, use existing IBM VTS/ATL,
tape management as a part of either RMM or CA-1, etc.

Back when I heard the annoucement a few years ago, the IBM party line I
heard at SHARE each year (2 years running) was TSM was converting over to
use DB2 as its catalog store. IBM had discovered using DB2 for z/OS would
mean a spectacular performance hit and running on distributed systems using
UDB/DB2 it ran like a bandit.  Therefore it was DB2's fault and they had no
choice.

Yesterday the story was met with amazement and it has changed to no one
was using TSM for z/OS and I was only one of "five" total.  Therefore it was
an economic decision (which if true makes sense). Also the TSM folks believe
the world is going over to zLinux besides because of the big upswing in the
number sold last year (probably very true).

Question - 1:

"SO" I would like to know who are the other four people who had a similar idea
about using TSM for z/OS, to be the data backup place in order to leverage all
the good things z/OS has to offer.  Like to include those who in the last 2-3
years may have junked TSM for z/OS and went over to another methodology
because of the IBM notion no is using the product. Call me a skeptical, but
with all the sales emphasis done by IBM Tivoli, am I to believe for the last
5-6
years, all the z/OS installations in the world assaulted by teams of IBM'ers
only
succeeded in "5" TSM for z/OS sales.

Question - 2:

So what are people going to use to back up things like your zFS/HFS files on
z/OS to get granularity in the restoring at the file level.  And also if you
are
using Linux on z, what is the same backup strategy for the Linux file systems
if
one did not use TSM for z/OS. I hear for TSM for Linux Server to dump the zFS
files on z/OS I run a TSM Client on z/OS and will need Open Systems Tape
hardware like LTO specifically for the Tape drives used by TSM. Today I only
have FICON IBM 3592 type drives for z/OS and z/VM dumps. So now I would
need to buy hardware along with the TSM for Linux Server?

You may respond onlist or offlist.  Like to take a poll here and will publish
the
high level survey (no names or industries, etc) besides giving the information
to the IBM TSM folks as either confirmation, etc.

Jim

Jim Marshall, Software Engineer
Washington DC  20415