>>> On 11/5/2010 at 08:38 AM, Jim Marshall <jim.marsh...@opm.gov> wrote:
> I hear for TSM for Linux Server to dump the zFS
> files on z/OS I run a TSM Client on z/OS and will need Open Systems Tape
> hardware like LTO specifically for the Tape drives used by TSM. Today I only
> have FICON IBM 3592 type drives for z/OS and z/VM dumps. So now I would
> need to buy hardware along with the TSM for Linux Server?

Yes.  Stinks, doesn't it?  I spent a fair amount of time bashing Tivoli about
this in public.  I was eventually told that TSM for Linux on System z uses some
SCSI commands that aren't available in the FICON world of I/O.  My response was
"Huh?  What is TSM on z/OS doing now?  Why not keep doing that?"  I never got
an answer.  Can you say "at its heart, IBM is a hardware company?"

Mark Post