For anybody who is interested, there has been a SHARE requirement to increase
TSO Ids to 8 characters for 20 years.  Because IBM responded and assigned it to
'Long Range Consideration', it's been sitting there neglected.  The SHARE MVSE
Requirements Committee has recently determined that it should be re-opened, and
I'll do that within a week.  When it was voted on in 1990, it received a vote
of 2.5 out of a range of +5 to -5.  A negative number means that the change
would either harm your installation or that you want developers to spend their
time on other things.  So do you want this bad enough to vote for it, or do you
want developers working on other things?  Your choice.

You can vote if your company is a SHARE member, and I put together a paper on
how to participate in requirements at http://www.watsonwalker.com/PR100317.pdf.

Here's the requirement that will be opened for discussion soon:

Requirement#:   SSSHARE014155
Benefit:        We would like to have common USERIDs across all IBM systems.
RACF, VM, and CICS
all allow for 8 character USERIDs; TSO/E should also. The rest of the computing
world (AIX, Unix, VAX/VMS) allow 8 character USERIDs. There should be no
problem with jobnames for jobs submitted from TSO/E as there is already a
mechanism for removing the IBM default job ownership rules (jobname = userid +
suffix) -- reference GUIDE Requirement GD124088013.

Best regards,
Cheryl Watson
MVSE Requirements Coordinator

======================
Cheryl Watson
Watson & Walker, Inc.
www.watsonwalker.com
941-266-6609
======================

On Nov 5, 2010, at 6:45 PM, John McKown wrote:

On Fri, 2010-11-05 at 16:54 -0400, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:
> In <a6b9336cdb62bb46b9f8708e686a7ea005d5e05...@nrhmms8p02.uicnrh.dom>,
> on 11/05/2010
>   at 10:48 AM, "McKown, John" <john.mck...@healthmarkets.com> said:
>
>> Nope. I definately ran TSO on MVT. It was a SYSGEN option. I shudder
>> to remember it. But it was with local 3277 terminals.
>
> Hey, you were using 3277 instead of 2260; be grateful.

The 2260s in the one shop that I was at were dedicated to the ACP
system. That was with Braniff Airways, back in the early 1980s.

We had an RYO VTAM based 3720 interactive OLTP system there. I had to
write an interface which allows 2260 data streams to be sent to and from
3720s. Weird. I loved the shutdown command:

F OLTP,SAY GOODNIGHT, DICK!

--
John McKown
Maranatha! <><