I know how to send an SMS cell phone message using an email to sms gateway.
What I'm trying to figure out is a relatively simple and CPU efficient way to
do it. We have CA-OPS/MVS 11.5 installed. I could use it, but since I don't
know every possible WTOR message id which might occur, it appears that I need
to trap every z/OS message and look at each one individually. Yuck! This is not
CPU efficient. I could write an IEAVMXIT in assembler to trap all messages and
process the WTORs. This is probably more CPU efficient, but not simple.
Especially since I would likely need to queue the WTORs to another address
space to actually process. I could write a program to set up an EMCS console.
But this seems neither simple nor CPU efficient, although perhaps more so than
CA-OPS.

What have I overlooked?

What do I want to accomplish? We run with no people other than "on call" people
on the weekends and holidays. This means that a batch job or some other process
could hang on a WTOR because we don't currently have a way to notify anybody
that they need to take a look. The on-call person is basically forced to work
overtime to periodically logon to the system and use TSO and use SDSF to check
out the system, or use an SMCS VTAM console to look and issue commands. TSO and
SDSF is usually easier. How does a total "lights out" operation do this?

John McKown
Systems Engineer IV
IT

Administrative Services Group