If everything is as you described, I'm not sure why your system should behave differently than mine. Perhaps there is some subtle parameter in HSM that I've forgotten about, but the rules as I understand them and as they work on my configuration are:

MGMTCLAS "Primary Days" and "Level 1" days only apply to space management auto-migration and are ignored when command (HMIG) migration is used. Other MGMTCLAS attributes, such as auto-backup, continue to be honored and are unaffected by whether HMIG is used or not.

If auto-backup is turned off, HMIG does not check to see if any backups exist and
HMIG dataset               will move dataset on  primary  to ML1
HMIG dataset ML2           will move dataset on primary or ML1 to ML2

If auto-backup is turned on, and no backup exists
HMIG dataset               will move dataset on primary to ML1
HMIG dataset ML2           will fail with ARC1280I if dataset on
                         primary or ML1 and no move is done

If auto-backup is turned on, and backup exists
HMIG dataset              will move dataset on primary to ML1
HMIG dataset ML2          will move dataset on primary or ML1 to ML2

If I understand your previous posts correctly, you indicated that with auto-backup on and no backup yet, "HMIG dsn ML2" migrated the dataset to ML1. This does not happen on my system. I get ARC1280I and no migration for this case. I would get a migration to ML1 and no error only if the command "HMIG dsn" (with no "ML2") had been used under those conditions. The primary and level 1 days in MGMTCLAS are irrelevant to HMIG operation in either case - they only affect auto-migration.

On most recent case indicated, where a backup is known to exist, the command "HMIG dsn ML2" should always force migration to ML2. You don't explicitly say whether in the last case your dataset ends up on ML2 or ML1, but on my system it ends up on ML2 and this is where the documentation says it should end up. Again the primary and level 1 days in MGMTCLAS are irrelevant to HMIG operation - they only affect auto-migration.

This is the behavior of the HMIGRATE command as documented in Chapter 18, "DFHSM Managing your Own Data": "The data set migrates to a level 1 migration volume unless you specify the MIGRATIONLEVEL2 parameter in the command or you are in an environment that migrates directly to migration level 2 volumes" [this latter reference is to an HSM system with no ML1 space defined, which is obviously not the case in the current discussions - JCE]
        and
"... MIGRATIONLEVEL2 is an optional parameter you use to migrate a data set from a level 0 volume or a migration level 1 volume to a migration level 2 volume. The MIGRATIONLEVEL2 parameter must be specified if you are migrating an already migrated data set."

Note there is NO mention of any interaction with the MGMTCLAS definitions. Don't assume an interaction when none is documented.

The descriptions of the MGMTCLAS options for primary and level 1 days in "DFSMS Storage Administration Reference" are perhaps not as clearly worded as they could be. These are documented as applying to "normal" migration. In this context "normal" means space management or auto-migration. In other words, these parameters do NOT apply to manual command migration, which is only designed to handle exceptions to "normal" processing.

This is the way MGMTCLAS and HMIGRATE are designed to interact and the way they do interact on my z/OS system.
  Joel C. Ewing