Did you display the LBACKUP date while the file was migrated? On z/OS 1.10 I only see the actual last Backup date displayed if the dataset is on a primary volume. If on ML1 or ML2 neither ISMF no LISTC will display the backup date.

Did you do a
"HMIG  dsnamefilter"
(which is a request to migrate to ML1) or
"HMIG dsnamefilter ML2"?

If I try to migrate a dsn with an autobackup management class to ML2 and there is no backup yet, it fails with "ARC1280I MIGRATION FAILED - DATA SET IS IN NEED OF BACKUP". If I try to migrate the same dataset to ML1 ("ML2" parm omitted), migration succeeds. I think this is because DFHSM can still do an autobackup from ML1. Or If I then attempt to force a migrate from ML1 to ML2 with "HMIG dsname ML2" before there is a backup, I also get the ARC1280I failure.