John

We haven't been given either the configuration much less the relevant
definitions here but you may be getting close to the explanation to why CICS
works and TSO doesn't.

After I mentioned "mystery" here I went back to close the window for the
Technote and noticed that the problem arises when the LU type is 0 rather
than 2. I'd need to check the likely flows in order to work out why "query"
appears in the TSO message when the problem is documented as being
associated with the BIND request. However, that's what the Technote says
and also what is stated in 3174 Establishment Controller Status Codes, GA27-
3832-08:

http://publibfp.dhe.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/cn7s8001/2.23

So what may have happened here is that Larry's "initial login screen" (spelling
corrected!) is, when given the correct name, an Unformatted System Services
(USS) message 10. It may be that, when CICS is entered, the command
generated is

LOGON APPLID(cics)LOGMODE(cicsmode)

and when TSO is entered, the command generated is

LOGON APPLID(tso)LOGMODE(tsomode)

where
- "cics" is the required LU name for the primary LU supporting the CICS
application
- "tso" is the required LU name for the primary LU supporting the TSO
application
- "cicsmode" selects a mode table entry where the LU type is 2
- "tsomode" selects a mode table entry where the LU type is 0

Note that, as implied by the Technote, a TN3270 server is being used with a
TCP connection to PCOMM behaving as a TN3270 client, the mode name
specified by the USS command overrides the mode table entry name
configured in the TN3270 server, possibly according to the famous Table
33, "Device type and logmode table", in z/OS Communications Server IP
Configuration Reference.

So, with a few guesses since the full story is rarely told in an initiating
post,
the "mystery" may be explained.

Your "experience" may well be correct but always - *always* - remember that
the BIND image originates from the secondary LU in the session. It may be
that CICS can be configured to ignore the BIND image originating from the
secondary LU in the session but, generally, these days I believe the BIND
image is used dynamically to specify the TCTTE parameters.

Another point I can't quite understand about your post is a suggestion that
there is some variation in the BIND parameters transaction by transaction.
Please remember that the BIND parameters apply to the *session* during
which there are multiple transactions. It's at the start of the *session* that
the "query" exchange takes place.

Chris Mason