I've used * and ** in 3.4 for the dsname level.

>From User's Guide II:

1. If you enter a high-level qualifier of ’*’ or ’**’, ISPF displays a
pop-up window
to warn you that the search will be for all catalogs on the system and will
take
time. If there are many catalogs, this search could take a considerable
amount
of time. You can press Enter to continue the search, or you can enter Cancel
or
End from the pop-up window to cancel the search. Be aware that if you have
mount authority, a catalog search with ’*’ or ’**’ as the high-level
qualifier can
require that volumes be mounted for the catalogs to be searched.
2. The ISPF Configuration table contains a selectable option, named
DISALLOW_WILDCARDS_IN_HLQ, to disallow the use of the ’*’ or ’%’ in the
high-level qualifier

- Don Imbriale