On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 11:33:56 -0600 Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com> wrote:

:>On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 07:39:36 -0800, Edward Jaffe wrote:

:>>Recently, a large U.S. Government customer asked us if our product(s) would
:>>still work if the LPA-eligible modules were moved from PLPA to LNKLST.
They're
:>>running the latest operating system releases (often participating in the ESP
:>>process), the latest subsystems and middle-ware, and are so storage
constrained
:>>at 2G they're scraping the bottom of the barrel!

:>>IMHO, there is a lot that can and should be done before we get too worried
about
:>>whether RMODE(64) executables are necessary.

:>Those two statements appear to contradict each other.  In any case,
:>RMODE(64) executables might avoid much scraping effort.

:>If a program runs today in AMODE(64) RMODE(31), would the hypothetical
:>effort to convert to RMODE(64) be minimal, or would it be more like
:>the evolution of XA, where many things still require RMODE(24)?

Obviously there would be a need for a linkage assist routine to invoke AMODE31
routines (unless they return via BSM) and all 4 byte adcons would need to be
8. So, about the same.

http://www.dissensoftware.com